Waste is "all movable property which its owner disposes of, intends to dispose of or is required to dispose of" (cf. Article 3 (1) KrWG).
The annual quantity of waste produced within the EU is gigantic! In 2014, a total of 2.5 billion tonnes of waste was produced within the EU.
The waste in Germany is differentiated according to the Waste Catalogue Ordinance (AVV), each with a different ID number. In summary, this results in the following categories, among others:
- Municipal Solid Waste
- Domestic waste, bulky waste, waste from the organic waste bin
- Packaging waste from private households
- Market waste, street sweepings, park and garden waste
- Residues from waste treatment plants
- Refuse derived fuel (RDF)
- Animal by-products
- Light shredder fractions
- Waste from commercial and industrial sources
- Waste wood
- Waste fibres/fabric
- Commercial packaging waste
- Commercial plastic waste
- Organic waste from restaurants and canteens
- waste oil (synthetic)
- Construction and Demolition Waste (C&D)
- Hazardous/Chemical/Medical Waste
- Used car tires
- Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) and Photovoltaic/Solar Panels (PV)
Overall, a distinction can be made between waste for further recycling and waste for disposal. If disposal focuses on the recovery of energy, it is referred to as waste-to-energy.
Waste-to-Energy offers great potential in terms of climate protection (e.g. through CO2 savings potential, reduction of diffuse CH4 emissions) and as a means to capture pollutants contained in the waste in a safe manner.
The technical implementation of the recovery contained in the waste can be carried out in a waste incineration plant (WIP), a waste-to-energy plant (WtE), RDF power plant or an alternative plant for thermal residue utilization.
Regardless of the technology, whether grate firing or fluidized bed combustion, gasification plant, pyrolysis or oiling process, we support our customers in all planning phases and concerns from the initial idea to the realization and commissioning.
Please feel free to contact us.